Monday, February 15, 2016

The Basics

Because me and my comp have started quoting movies like crazy, (she says it so well in Portuguese that I know exactly what movie and what phrase in English. Don’t worry we are going to film us switching on and off) I just gotta quote the Incredibles real fast. Imagine Edna Mode.... "I didn’t know the boy’s powers, so I just started with the basics". Anyway, this has a purpose! I’ve been reminded of how important the basics are. Sometimes we don’t know our true faith or "powers" until we start with the basic solid principles God has given us. If we aren’t willing to pray, read our scriptures and attend church, how are we going to see all the other blessings God has placed inside us? All the things He has put to protect and provide for us. Edna mode didn’t know what powers Jack Jack had so she included the basic protection systems, and Egyptian cotton feel into the super suit. Imagine our super suit that God has created! He gave us a body in His exact image, the blessing to feel emotion, feel His presence, to learn and so much more. He has placed the basics for us to follow and act in order to see it truly works its magic. 



Here in Novo Osasco Sister Moraes and I are seeing the blessings of doing the basics, contacts in the street. One contact I almost didn’t stop to do ended up being a tender mercy for me and for the moça, (mosa, young woman) we found. I started the contact normally as I do but as I continued I could see tears in her eyes.  I immediately stopped and asked if she was alright. She responded with a head shake. I invited her to sit down in the park so we could talk a bit more. I told her of our purpose and she asked if we could go to the church that instant. Unfortunately I knew it wasn’t open at the time but we prayed together, left a pamphlet of the gospel of Jesus Christ with her and marked her address down to return. The day we returned to her house (maysa) she gave us such strong hugs of welcome and told her parents, "these are my good friends.” I asked her if she was better and she said "you really helped me the other day.  I feel so much better and read the entire pamphlet already."  The only question she had about it was the phrase "Book of Mormon" at the end and so we got to teach her about it! Moments like these only strengthen my spirit and give me the boost to "keep moving forward" (Meet the Robinsons, Mike?? haha) and the feeling we are making a difference by starting with the basics.



Renato is progressing so well! He always offers us juice and cookies, has played basketball with the members, and started reading the Book of Mormon!

You know I’m becoming a true missionary when you get into a doctrine deep discussion and you just wanna sit for hours with scriptures and resources to learn more! haha We had this experience with a member.

I also had the opportunity this week to play the piano for the other sisters in our ward’s baptism. Felipe, his grandfather invited me to play. I said of course! They even had fancy little programs, and my name was spelled correctly!



Fortunately I chose to weigh myself at one of the drogarias (pharmacies) and I weigh 59 kl! woot woot! I was 61! haha This transition with pounds and kl is really testing me but I think 59 is good....anyway, have a wonderful week! Know that I’m here trying to use more sunscreen, bug repellent and chapstick to appear somewhat presentable as a missionary :)  I’m kidding! I’m doing great health wise and spiritually as well. When you dedicate your life to the Lord and His children, He feeds you well and protects you too :) Who could ask for more than to live and love as the people in Brasil? I couldn’t ask for more :)


Tchau from Sister Oldroyd The Brasilian Born

A picture to go with the pictures from two blogs ago of the spiders!

No comments:

Post a Comment